Nien Cheng was imprisoned under the Communist rule of Mao Zedong who started the Cultural Revolution. The guards are constantly pushing and tormenting Nien to confess. It is not until reading further that I understood what they wanted her to confess. They wanted her to follow everything Mao Zedong’s rules and anything that he says is right. The Red Guards’ tormenting turns into torturing and punishing. She is put in restricting handcuffs and put in a small dusty solitude box with no windows. The guards told her as long as she does not confess the handcuffs stay on her. She is not able to eat or drink and would not confess because she feels that she has done nothing wrong. As portrayed throughout the reading Nien is stubborn and stuck strongly to her faith and beliefs. Nien’s hands swelled, oozed pus, and blood she wrote, “I prayed to God to help me recover the use of my hands” (p.124). Another example when she writes, “It seemed there was no alternative to relying on...
From Norton Book of Women’s Lives, Introduction, Edited by Phyllis Rose: “It is a shock now to realize how much autobiographical work by women The New Yorker published in the fifties. […] It seems ungrateful to suggest that the context to some extent ‘emasculated’ its women writers” (15). “Quentin Bell’s biography of Virginia Woolf, perhaps the fullest and most candid biography of a woman writer up to its time, revealed astonishing details about Woolf’s asexual marriage, affairs, with other women, and insanity” (18). In analyzing the introduction, I want to establish the definition of emasculate is to make someone or something weaker or less effective. As portrayed in these two quotes and throughout the introduction, numerous women are not able to share their personal parts of their lives with the world due to the fact that males had the power when it came to publishing. This in turn deprives women of their ability to share their experiences with other ...
Ms. Beauvoir has not experienced freedom before she starts her writing at the days of her freedom. She was amused and in awe about the little things that she considers to be freedom. For example, she writes, “I was free to come and go as I pleased. I could get home with the milk, read in bed all night, sleep till midday, shut myself up for forty-eight hours at a stretch, or go out on the spur of the moment” (p. 54). She showed her excitement in all the little things in life that she had the freedoms to do now. It seemed as if she did not have any freedom before this so when she reached this point she would eat, dress, and have a relationship with whom she pleased. Ms. Beauvoir explains, “these duties did not even prove a burden to me since I felt that by performing them, I was involved in a new sort of game: I was playing at being a grownup” (p. 54). She was doing all these adult activities for the first time and was surprisingly excited to be doing them. Thes...
Sounds like fun!
ReplyDelete