Onnie Lee Logan Analysis
Compared to the other women’s stories we have read this story from Logan was like a breath of fresh air. I say breath because this is what she helped women to focus on during the contractions. It was a beautiful calming story of her being a midwife to mothers giving birth. I enjoyed reading about how it was a full experience for Logan. She left time at the beginning of the contractions as she explained “That the mother and daddy are together quietly by themselves at the beginning of the labor until labor get so severe” (p. 484). Then they would call her, and she would be on her way. Onnie relied on the help of God at the end of the process. As Logan said, “The contractions leave awhile completely. That’s God’s way. That’s what I love about it. Give mother time to rest between the contractions. This is a beautiful point about it” (p.489). She trusted her process and believed this is what God’s intentions were for her and the births of the babies.
The color white was brought up throughout the story. I believe white is a symbol of purity or cleanliness. The white towels, coat, cap, sheet beneath the mother the cleanliness and purity before the baby arrives in the world.
I think the story was impactful in the way it was written in Logan’s voice. Even though she was not able to write it the wording of the sentences and emphasis on certain parts really showed through. As Onnie explained, “That’s a lil white cap comes around here tied to my head. It’s mo’ sanitary than havin yo’ hair loose” (p.483). I believe her words matched her dialect. Onnie’s emphasis on God and the full experience of the birth was shown through her values were intact in the story.
Word Count: 304
Comments
Post a Comment