Audre Lorde Analysis

 From Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde:

“My mother was different from other women, and sometimes it gave me a sense of pleasure and specialness that was a positive aspect of feeling set apart. But sometimes it gave me pain and fancied it the reason for so many of my childhood sorrows” (p.497).

“But it was so typical of my mother when I was young that if she couldn’t stop white people from spitting on her children because they were Black, she would insist it was something else” (p.498).

    Her parents made a lot of decisions for their family in terms of what is right and wrong. I feel that even though she thought her mother got upset and mad at her a lot it was to protect her. Her mother even lied to her about people spitting into the wind. I think her mother said that because it was easier to explain that to a child than to say it is on purpose because of our race. That is horrible that even children who have not even learned much about the world yet or been it very long are being punished for the color of their skin. It is not right to do to anyone no matter the color of their skin, but I just felt shocked when I read this part. I felt so bad for her mother and her being so embarrassed and not being able to walk down the street without being humiliated. Her mother was so distraught, and it caused her pain to rehash the situation in which she could not protect her family because of the color of her skin.

Word Count: 280

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nien Cheng Analysis

Introduction Analysis

The Prime Life: Simone De Beauvoir Analysis