Helen Keller Documentary Analysis
This documentary was an interesting perspective that I have not seen before, Helen Keller’s childhood. I have read stories about her in other classes, but from the time when she was older and working toward activist movements. It must have been so different for her not being able to see or hear, it was a new perspective on life. She got very frustrated many times. I was in awe about the idea Anne, her educator, had to use the cold water from the pump to teach Helen how to put the letters she learned to use. As the narrator states when describing Anne’s actions to teach Helen, “[…] she presses into Helen’s hand the spelling of ‘water, and for the first time the finger game has meaning”. I think it must have been an amazing feeling to know that things have names and that helped her keep progressing to learn more. Before this happened, she probably felt lost and alone. She even was able to learn so much to be able to go to a school of the blind. She explained to her teacher that she was determined to learn to speak. Helen was different from her classmates because she was blind and deaf but was the most motivated and progressed fast. I am amazed at how determined she was, not frustrated and alone, but confident and eager to learn. She is able to participate in traditional activities that other young children are doing like learning other languages and being a part of athletics. It is truly astonishing that she was able to come so far and come so close to “normalcy” like going to college. Though I do not like the word normalcy because of what does that really means. Each individual in this world is unique and has unique experiences every day and in every part of the world. Even though her speech and writing were not perfect she was able to communicate with the world in her own way.
Word Count: 332
Comments
Post a Comment